Is there a possibilty to reuse the documentation XML file which is produced by the build as an addtional documentation file? This would be a nice feature as in my WCF datacontracts all my members are already documented and unfortunately the WCF tools do
not emit this information as annotation/documentation.
Many thanks for the very useful utility
Oct 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM
sorry for the late reply.
Unfortanately, there is no direct way to achieve what you want. However, I can fully understand why you want this behavior. Documentation works best if there is only a single source for the information. I think in your case keeping it in the C#/VB source
files alongside with the WCF data types makes indeed the most sense.
The way I would attack this problem is as follows:
- Generate the XML documentation file out of the compiler (C#/VB). I guess you already do this today.
- Write yourself a tool that takes this file(s) as input and produces one or more external documentation files that can be used by XSDDoc.
- First, you need to understand how the XML documentation file is structured. The format is documented on
- Second, you need to understand how external documentation works in XSDDoc. The is dicussed in the help file (which an be found in
%ProgramData%\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\Components and Plug-Ins\XML Schema Documenter) under section
Documenting - External Documentation.
- Third, you have to find out how C# entities are related to the XSD entities and create a mapping function. For example, I could imagine that a certain WCF contract type, such as
T:MyCompany.MyService.ITheService relates to something like
- All you then have to do is add those external documentation files to the SHFB project via the DocFilePaths property that can be configured in the plug-in configuration dialog of XSDDoc. I would keep them in a separate folder and use
a wildcard to add them (such as WCFDocumentation\*.xml)
- Configure your build in a way that your tool runs after compilation and generates the external documentation file out of the documentation xml file produced by the compiler.
Hope this helps.