Empty Namespace

Topics: Questions
May 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Is there any way to set the XML namespace for documentation purposes without altering the XSD schemas?

I've inherited a library project including a couple of XML schemas which don't have a target namespaces set and so the documentation is generated under an "Empty Namespace" book and refers to "The Empty namespace..." and "__Namespace:__Empty"

I can't change the schemas because they are used by the library for validation and we can't require old XML documents to be updated to set a namespace (and I don't want to have a separate "documentation" copy of the schemas).
Coordinator
May 3, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Currently there is no mechanism for overwriting the namespace information extracted from the schema files.

Can you explain why you want to change the namespace? If the schema files don't have a namespace, then authoring for that schema must not use a namespace, otherwise it can't be validated successfully. So why would you want the documentation to show an invalid namespace?

Thanks,
-Immo
May 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM
It's not so much that I want to change the namespace as I want to change the TOC entry and some of the namespace related generated text.

I can't add a namespace to this schema without breaking a lot of existing usage (and the resultant unhappy customers) but seeing entries like "The Empty Namespace" in the TOC and "The Empty namespace provides the following..." in the topics (I may have the wording slightly wrong there) makes the help file look amateurish.

Coordinator
May 6, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Edited May 6, 2013 at 1:47 AM
Ah, I see. You can configure the plug-in to not show a topic for the namespace itself via the NamespaceContainer property (see it to false). However, you will still see entries like
Namespace: Empty
on the topic of each elements/attributes.

Does this help?
May 6, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Not quite because all of the sub-topics then appear at the top level.

Coordinator
May 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Edited May 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM
You could also set SchemaSetContainer to true then it looks like this:
  • Conceptual Root Topic 1
  • Conceptual Root Topic 2
  • Schema Set
    • Root Schemas
    • Root Elements
    • Schemas
    • Elements
You can control the summary and remarks section of the schema set and you can control the title, for example "XML Reference" (via the SchemaSetTitle property). If you don't like the topics "Root Schema" or "Root Elements" you can also suppress them via DocumentRootSchemas and DocumentRootElements. So you could morph that into this structure:
  • Conceptual Root Topic 1
  • Conceptual Root Topic 2
  • XML Reference
    • Root Elements
    • Schemas
    • Elements
Is this would you are looking for? If not, can you explain what kind of structure you are looking for?
May 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM
That looks good, thanks.

Am I correct in saying that there is currently no way to make the generated XML documentation appear as a child of a Conceptual Topic (that way I could provide a bit of overall explanation for the schemas)? I have C# generated help too, so it would need to be child of a difference Conceptual Topic to that.

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2013 at 8:38 PM
That's correct.
Marked as answer by terrajobst on 2/15/2014 at 6:13 PM