New Release

Jan 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Hi

I have downloaded the new Release 1.8.0.3 and tried to install it (on a Win7 machine). But i get allways a message that says it requires SHFB Version 1.8.0.2 or higher. I have SHFB 1.8.0.3 installed. Has anyone other experienced the same problem?

It is probably possible to deploy the XSD Doc plugin also without an installer? SHFB has now the posibility to load plugin's from the SHFB installation directory. So it is not required to have SHFB (and XSD Doc) installed on the local machine.

See http://shfb.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=24759

Thanks for any suggestions

Marco

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Hi marcoerni,

XSDDoc uses the environment variable SHFBROOT that SHFB creates to detect its version. If you tried to install XSDDoc right after installing SHFB you might need to reboot so that the XSDDoc setup is able to to see it.

Sorry for the inconvenience; unfortunately using the environment variable seems to be the only way to check for SHFB...

Hope this helps,
Immo

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Hi Immo

Thanks for the hint, I have managed to install the new version.

But now when I try to run it on a Build Server (where SHFB and XSD Doc is not installed locally, but checked in the source code repository) it always fails. I have entered the correct path ({@SHFBFolder}\...}) in the .components configuration file, however it always tries to load the XSD Doc assemblies from the the "ProgramData\EWSoftware\..." folder. Any idea what i am doing wrong?

Thanks, Marco

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Hi Immo

I probably got it. The XSD Doc Plug-In Assembly "XsdDocumentation.PlugIn.plugins" contains in the method "XsdPlugIn.GetComponentConfiguration(string)" the hard-coded {@ComponentsFolder}\XML Schema Documenter\XsdDocumentation.BuildComponents.dll.

Is there any possibility to get them from the components configuration file?

Thanks, Marco

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Hi Marco,

sorry, just realized that I did not answer your question regarding the XCopy scenario. I have never tested that scenario. I think that I originally took this scenario into considerations but due to certain restrictions in SHFB I droped it. However, I will have a look at it and come back to you later.

Immo

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2010 at 7:56 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Hi Marco,

I have fixed the problem. In order to make build scenarios easier to use I have uploaded a zip file that only contains the files needed on a build server. You can just extract them to the SHFB root folder but I would recommend using a sub directory, such as "XsdDoc" as SHFB will also look there and it avoids name conflicts between SHFB and XsdDoc.

Furthermore, you are now able to run SHFB with XsdDoc without modifying the components file.

BTW, running SHFB when it is not installed is actually quite easy:

<MSBuild Projects="$(HelpDir)Help.shfbproj"
         Properties="SHFBROOT=$(BootstrappedShfb)" />

(Assuming the property $(BootstrappedShfb) points to the directory where you downloaded SHFB from version control.)

Please let me know if this helps!

All the best,
Immo

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:48 AM

Hi Immo

It works perfectly! Thanks for that super fast reply!

Keep up this good work.

Thanks, Marco

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Hi Marco,

you are very welcome!

BTW, if you are happy with the product you might also want to add a rating ;-)

Best,
Immo

Marked as answer by terrajobst on 2/15/2014 at 6:16 PM