This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Incompatibility with Version 1.9.5.0 of SandCastle Help File Builder ?

Topics: Questions
Oct 16, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Hi

Version 1.9.5.0 of SandCastle refuses to load the plugin in version 1.9.4.0.

I migrated to Version 1.9.5.0 of SandCastle without realizing that this problem exists, and now all the hard work invested in documenting the multitude of XML-Schemas in the project, is wasted.

I'm desperate here - can anyone help please?

Any suggestion how to solve this issue?

Any workaround, other then reverting SHFB to 1.9.4? I'll have to do so with all me team members - a big headache...

Thanks!

Coordinator
Oct 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Whenever SHFB ships a new release, XML Schema Documenter needs to be rebuild to rebuild against the newest SHFB assemblies. This is due to the way CLR versions assemblies. Since SHFB released 3 days ago, I hadn't had time updating XML Schema Documenter yet. I'll tackle that in the next few days.

If you feel really blocked you can try adding binding redirect to SHFB's app configuration file.

Thanks,
-Immo

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I do "feel really blocked" actually, so I'm eager to try the workaround you've suggested :-)

First, Thank you!

Will you please be kind enough to include some sort of instructions of how to add a binding redirect? Do I have to compile something, or can it be added to the config file with a text editor? Where do I find the config file? To which component should I redirect it?

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2012 at 7:32 AM
Edited Oct 17, 2012 at 7:33 AM

The binding redirect workaround basically means that you tell the CLR to replace XSD Doc's dependency on 1.9.4.0 by 1.9.5.0. To do this, you need to edit "C:\Program Files (x86)\EWSoftware\Sandcastle Help File Builder\SandcastleBuilderGUI.exe.config"

Use the following snippet. Make sure that runtime is the first element under configuration:

<configuration>
   <runtime>
      <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
         <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="SandcastleBuilder.Utils"
                              publicKeyToken="71c06e0a0c1c8bf2"
                              culture="neutral" />
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.9.4.0"
                             newVersion="1.9.5.0"/>
         </dependentAssembly>
      </assemblyBinding>
   </runtime>
</configuration>

Please note that I haven't actually tested this and thus don't know whether it works for SHFB -- there might be some other build components that need binding redirect entries as well or there might be API breaking changes between 1.9.5 and 1.94 that prevent XSD Doc from running.

I'll have a closer look at this on the weekend and publish a newer version that is compatible with SHFB 1.9.5.

HTH

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM

The new release that is compatible with SHFB 1.9.5 is available here.

Marked as answer by terrajobst on 2/15/2014 at 6:12 PM